Quick, who likes pizza? We’re excitedly waving arms while grinning. Since we enjoy pizza at least one time a week and have our crust, toppings, and HTML2_ sauce HTML2_ sorted out, we thought it was about time we shared our favorite homemade pizza sauce.
What’s the best news? The best part? It’s easy to prepare ( 1 pan 20 min!) It’s packed with rich, herbaceous tomato flavor. It’s also infused with red pepper flakes and garlic for some extra kick. (Blank pizza sauce begone! This is perfect for Pizza Night. It also stores well in the fridge so that you always have it on hand. We’ll show you exactly how to do it!
How to Make Pizza Sauce
This easy and quick homemade pizza sauce requires only eight pantry essentials: olive oil (or other cooking oils), garlic, crushed tomatoes, dried Basil and oregano, salt, and maple syrup.
Pizza sauce is a pantry staple that we use because you never know when a pizza craving will strike. And unanswered pizza cravings = sadness.
Sauté minced garlic with red pepper flakes to add a little heat and flavor to the olive oil. Add your favorite crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, and Basil to create a classic pizza flavor. Sea salt will add depth and sweetness, while maple syrup provides a gentle sweetness.
- If oil is not available, use 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Three cloves of garlic, minced (or pressed)
- Red pepper flakes: 1/2 tsp (or less)
- One (28-ounce can) of crushed tomatoes (San Marzano is best for flavor).
- Oregano dried 1 tsp (or 2 tsp fresh oregano minced).
- Use 1 tsp dried Basil (or twice the amount of fresh, minced Basil)
- Sea salt, 3/4 tsp
- Add balance with 1 tsp of maple syrup or other sweetener.
FOR SERVING optional
- Favorite Vegan Pizza
- Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage Pizza
- Heat a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and olive oil. Sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute). Stir in red pepper flakes to add flavor. If you find that the food is cooking too fast, turn down the heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients: oregano and Basil, maple syrup, salt, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce is slightly reduced. Reduce heat if splattering occurs. Cover and reduce the temperature. The flavors should be well-integrated and deep when the cooking is complete. Add more maple syrup to sweeten, more salt to enhance the overall taste, more red pepper flakes or oregano for heat, or more Basil or oregano for a more herbaceous flavor.
- Serve on your favorite pizza (such as our Favorite Vegan Pizza or Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage Pizza). In a sealed container, store leftovers for 4-5 days in the fridge or up to one month in the freezer.