We have big plans for summer, friends. Projects that include tacos (which are totally swoon-worthy). And a taco isn’t a taco without delicious toppings, so we dreamt up a slaw using an often-underutilized vegetable that deserves some more love: jicama!
This slaw caught us off guard with how delicious, fresh, and versatile it is! It includes a unique pairing of lime and balsamic vinegar for an equal balance of brightness, acidity, and subtle sweetness (trust us — it sounds weird, but it totally works). It’s not to be missed and so versatile (think tacos, bowls, salads, and more!). Plus, just nine ingredients, one bowl, and 30 minutes are required. Let us show you how it’s done!
What is Jicama?
Jicama, yam bean, Mexican turnip, Chinese potato, ahipa, saa got. These are all names for an incredibly crunchy, nutrient-packed root vegetable that really doesn’t get enough appreciation. All hail Jicama!
Jicama is believed to have originated in Mexico and Central America, then spread to the Philippines and, from there, to other parts of Southeast Asia. It has a mild flavor and tastes kind of like a cross between an apple and a potato, but even better than you’re probably imagining.
It’s especially rich in a prebiotic called inulin (yay, fiber!) that helps support digestive health. It’s also loaded with vitamin C and supplies potassium, folate, iron, magnesium, and more!
Jicama can be eaten raw or cooked, but its crunchy texture makes it especially perfect for salads and slaws!
How to Make Jicama Slaw
Jicama is the star of this salad, but it’s complimented by red cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and red onion for a contrast of textures, colors, and flavors.
We like slicing the veggies into thin matchsticks by using a simple knife and cutting board — or, when in a hurry, with the help of a food processor (grating attachment) or mandolin.
The 4-ingredient dressing is incredibly simple yet bursting with flavor thanks to the natural sweetness of balsamic vinegar, the tanginess of lime juice, the richness of olive oil, and a little sea salt that brings it all together. We make the dressing in a large mixing bowl, then add the veggies and mix, making this a 1-bowl wonder!
- 1/4 cup lime juice (~ two limes as the recipe is written)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups peeled and sliced jicama, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1 cup shredded or very thinly sliced red cabbage (or thinly sliced on a mandolin)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion (or sub green onion for less intense onion flavor)
- 1 cup chopped carrots, cut into very thin matchsticks (or shredded on a mandolin)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt.
- Add the sliced jicama, cabbage, red onion, carrots, and cilantro and toss to coat thoroughly. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more lime juice for tang, balsamic vinegar for sweetness, or a pinch of salt for balance.
- Enjoy on its own or with tacos, enchiladas, bowls, salads, and more! It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s not freezer-friendly.